Bursting washing machine hoses are a top 10 insurance claim.
Leaking washing machine water hoses may be one of the most common causes of catastrophic water damage in homes. Your washing machine usually comes with cheaper rubber water hoses. But did you know the manufacturer wants you to turn off the water supply to the machine after every use?
As you know, rubber washing machine hoses weaken under constant water pressure, and get stiff with time.
How many gallons of water comes from a burst washing machine hose?
- In a typical home, water will spill out of a burst hose around 650 gallons per hour (or six gallons per minute).
- Water will flood from a broken hose until someone notices it and turns off the main supply valve.
- If the hose breaks at night or when a building is unoccupied, thousands of gallons of water might flood the building before the problem is discovered.
- If your washing machine is on an upper floor, the damage will be extensive as the water pours through the floors.
- Inspect your main water shut off valve. Make sure it is functioning safely and erveryone knows where the valve is in case of an emergency.
How long will a washing machine hose last?
- Rubber hoses resiliency weaken as they age, making them subject to cracks, leaks, and bursting.
- Studies show failure rates increase significantly in hoses that are more than five years old.
- The average age of failed hoses was 8.7 years.
- 80% of hoses fail within 10 years.
Stainless steel braided hoses have problems too. We found it’s a good practice to replace washing machine hoses every five years whether rubber or metal. It’s also a good idea to check the hoses for damage or leaks once a year as part of your regular plumbing maintenance.
Signs of washing machine water hose failure.
Look for obvious signs of deterioration or imminent failure.
- Crimps, or kinks, especially near the connections and turns in the hose.
- Check for moisture, drips, rust, or leaks in, on, or around the hoses and connections or in the catch pan (if present).
- Check the connections to be sure that they are tightened properly. Even a small leak may indicate an imminent failure.
Proper washing machine positioning.
- Be sure that the washing machine is located at least four inches from the connections (usually at the wall) so that the hose is not bent or kinked.
- Check to see that the machine is properly balanced so that it does not“walk” during use, putting stress on the water hoses.
The simple washing machine water hose solution.
PDM plumber will carefully move your washing machine. We will replace your hot and cold water hoses with the new, stainless steel braided hoses. Clean up, test hoses and shut-off valves for safe operation. We also can install an emergency shut-off valve to help prevent a catastrophic flood automatically. Water leak alarms offer more peace of mind.
About PDM Plumbing, Heating, Cooling Since 1885
PDM Plumbing, Heating & Cooling has assembled an award-winning team. You’ll get top-notch service for any HVAC and plumbing service in Bolingbrook, Homer Glen, Joliet, New Lenox, Plainfield, IL area and SW Chicago Suburbs. The company’s commitment to its customers dates back to its founding in 1885 and includes a smile satisfaction guarantee on all work.