Carbon Monoxide Alarm FAQ.
How Long Does A Carbon Monoxide Alarm Work?
Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarms have a lifespan of 5-7 years, some up to 10 years, before they lose a sense of smell and cannot detect the deadly gas accurately.
CO alarms actual life span can be shorter due to environmental conditions like temperatures and humidity. Worse, carbon monoxide alarms do not detect the presence of carbon monoxide when in end-of-life mode even with a battery change.
A Carbon Monoxide close call for a Twin Cities man is a reminder to check for expired carbon monoxide detectors.
Where To Check For CO Detector Expiration Date?
In 2009, Underwriters Laboratories (UL), began requiring an end-of-life warning to alert homeowners when their carbon monoxide alarm has reached the end of its useful life. Carbon monoxide alarms do not detect the presence of carbon monoxide when in end-of-life mode.
- Check the back of your detector for either a build date or an expiration date.
- If there’s no date or your CO monitor it is more than seven years old, replace it now.
Where To Install Carbon Monoxide Detector Alarms?
Illinois homeowners and landlords are required by law Public Act 094-0741 to install at least one approved carbon monoxide alarm, in operating condition, within 15 feet of every sleeping room.
- Carbon monoxide neither rises toward the ceiling nor sinks to the floor.
- CO is about the same weight as air. So detectors that don’t have a digital display to read can be mounted anywhere as long as they’re at least 15 in. below ceilings.
- Install one on each level of your home, including basement.
- Locate CO detector in hallways near bedrooms but at least 15 ft. away from fuel-burning appliances.
- Small children around? Consider buying a talking CO detector. A voice warning is more effective at directing children than a shocking horn.
- Building owners responsibility is to supply and install all required alarms.
- Tenant responsibility is to test and to provide general maintenance for the alarms.
What Is Carbon Monoxide Gas?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous, colorless, odorless and tasteless gas. Exposure to a small amount of carbon monoxide CO which is a colorless, odorless gas over time can cause symptoms like shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness, or headaches. High levels can prove fatal, with approximately 450 people dying every year of CO poisoning, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
What Is A Dangerous Level Of CO?
As CO levels increase and remain above 70 ppm, symptoms may become more noticeable (headache, fatigue, nausea). As CO levels increase above 150 to 200 ppm, disorientation, unconsciousness, and death are possible.
PDM Plumbing, Heating, Cooling Since 1885.
Honest. Reliable. Affordable. Experienced. We’re dedicated to doing things the tried-and-true way. It’s gotten us this far. We see no reason to change it now. That’s the PDM difference.
- Award-winning customer service 24/7. We are proud to be a company that is fully licensed, bonded, and insured and we provide unparalleled quality workmanship.
- Quality work, done right. We are constantly going through special training and we’re always using high-quality tools and equipment for the best service.
- Proudly offering free new equipment estimates. We’ll fix it right, right away today! Our Clean Team can perform any type of HVAC or plumbing service in Bolingbrook, Homer Glen, Joliet, New Lenox, Plainfield area.
- Satisfaction guarantee. We’re confident our maintenance, repair, and installation services will pay for themselves and we do everything to ensure total satisfaction.
- Committed to quality & efficiency. We put forth every effort to be the best home service business in the region and our customers have honored us by helping us reach that reputation
Contact PDM for help with gas piping, water heater, heating maintenance and repair. Call 815-726-6264 and get back to normal fast. Plumbing and HVAC repair in the greater Bolingbrook, Homer Glen, Joliet, New Lenox and Plainfield, IL area.
COMMERCIAL AIR PURIFIER » « How To Improve Indoor Air Quality