You take around 20,000 breaths a day. 50 percent of all illnesses are caused by poor indoor air quality. Nearly two-thirds of indoor air problems involve the HVAC system. Even if you don’t feel unwell, you can still benefit from cleaner air and remove cold and flu virus.
You can tell if your home in Joliet has poor air quality a few different ways:
- Do you have health symptoms only while inside your home, but when you leave, they disappear?
- Do you see evidence of mold or dust in your vents or on your unit?
There are indoor air quality audits that can be performed on the quality of air inside your home. They measure humidity, pollutants, allergens and other contaminants that could be present in your home’s air.
For help identifying air quality issues, contact PDM today to learn more!
When it comes to how often you should change the air filters in your home near Joliet IL, there are a few guidelines you can follow:
- Replace every 20 - 45 days if you have more than one pet or suffer from allergies.
- Replace every 60 days if you have one pet.
- Replace every 90 days if you have no pets.
- Replace every 6 - 12 months if it is a vacation home that is not occupied often.
It’s also important to follow the guidelines put into place by the air filter manufacturer. For more information we are here to help. Call PDM today!
Poor air quality in a home is caused by a number of things:
- Cleaning Supplies - Volatile Organic Compounds and fragrances are in many products sprayed around our home, including cleaning supplies. These chemicals will circulate in the air and throughout a home as soon as they are sprayed. Look for low VOCs in cleansers and other home products.
- Poor Ventilation - A heating and cooling system should circulate outdoor air inside regularly. If your HVAC system is not working properly or the airflow is clogged, your home might not have the right air circulation and pollutants can get trapped inside.
- Mold & Mildew - When there is too much moisture in the air, mold and mildew can form, which can be harmful to your health.
- Life - Pets, dirt, dust, paint, candles and pollen can all cause the indoor air quality in our homes to go down.
The air in your home typically doesn't circulate very much, which can cause the buildup of contaminants.
Common pollutants that can affect you include:
When these accumulate, they can start to cause symptoms such as headaches and difficulty breathing, particularly in people with conditions such as asthma and allergies. It’s important to look after the health of your household and PDM can help.
Nothing is more important to us than your health and happiness and we are always glad to give input on what products would best suit your home's individual needs. When you are in need of reliable air quality solutions, you can count on us to exceed your expectations.
Stay safe. Stay healthy. Call (815) 726-6264 and we'll be glad to help!
Give PDM a call today to learn more about the Go Green Options for your home.
Air Quality Solutions for the Environment of your Home
Keep your air quality safe and save energy with products that keep your home systems running cleaner and greener. By addressing your indoor air quality, greater energy savings can be achieved, many pollutant and germ exposure issues can be avoided, and your home - and family - health can be protected.