Common Boiler Heating Repairs Since 1885.
While hot water boilers and steam boilers are dependable, everything breaks down over time. This is especially true without annual boiler maintenance. Here are 10 common boiler system repair questions.
1. Boiler Not Producing Heat?
Has your hot water or steam boiler stopped working and you’re not sure why? Unfortunately, this is not always an easy problem to diagnose. Two common boiler repair problems are your pressure level and your thermostat. You could have a broken diaphragm or airlock, issues with your valves, or water levels. Even a safety switch, old pump, or faulty ignition may be the cause. We need to test various systems, diagnose the problem and discover boilers-repairing options.
2. Boiler Leaking or Dripping?
Is the boiler leak from a part like a pressure relief valve or a pump? We can repair that leak. And sometimes a leak is only condensation! But if the boiler tank leaking that’s a real problem. The boiler probably is corroded. We won’t know until you have a thorough inspection. The good news is you can invest in the latest boiler technology to keep you comfortable.
3. Boiler Rumbling. Boiler Making A Loud Banging, Knocking, Or Kettling Noise?
This can become a major hot water boiler repair problem. Lime and sludge buildup can limited water flow. This causes water to overheat and boil. This can become a bigger problem quickly like the boiler may spring a leak or pressure builds up. The likely problem is hard water mineral buildup that changes the pressure levels in the tank. Kettling is a serious problem with your boiler system. If not treated, the entire boiler could break down. Call PDM for boiler heating repair.
4. Why Is My Boiler Making Whistling Or Gurgling Noises?
Boiler noise can mean air is in the system, low water pressure, or imminent part failure. Also a blockage or hard water sediment at the bottom of the boiler can cause noises. Call PDM experts for boiler noise repair service.
5. Boiler Thermostat Is Not Accurate?
The boiler thermostat controls the water temperature circulating through your boiler system. The thermostat also supplies hot water to your radiators. PDM can test your thermostat accuracy and reset to factory specs or replace if necessary
Troubleshoot Your Thermostat.
- Thermostat is “on” with proper settings?
- Check the power. Is the thermostat and the boiler receiving power? Check your circuit breakers and make sure.
- Replace thermostat batteries. This alone resolves many thermostat issues.
- Clean it. Some thermostats open easily so you can clean the inside. Others will require that you unscrew the faceplate. Dust, and other dirt can affect performance. Brush the inside gently with a dry, clean paintbrush. (Compressed air also works, but follow all safety instructions on the can.) Turn off power to the thermostat’s circuit and remove batteries before doing this.
- If problems continue, replace thermostat.
6. Why Does The Boiler Pilot Light Go Out?
A common cause for a pilot light to go out is the thermocouple. The thermocouple’s job is to shut off a gas safety valve when the pilot light goes out. A faulty or blocked gas valve is another possibility. Do you have to light your pilot and leave it running so heat is always available? Or does your boiler use electronic ignition to heat water only when needed? If you cannot ignite the pilot light, you’ll need a PDM boiler repair technician to get you back to normal. It is safe to light a pilot light with a gas lighter? Before turning the knob from Off to the Pilot position, wait until the gas smell goes away (minutes).
7. Why Is My Boiler Pressure Low?
Your boiler pressure must be at the correct level for the hot water to circulate properly between the radiators. Water could be leaking, or a pressure valve may need to be replaced. Boiler low pressure can also be caused by radiators that have been bled recently.
8. How To Fix A Frozen Boiler Condensate Pipe?
This pipe runs outside, so there is a risk of freezing. Melt it by pouring warm water over it or warm blanket, or hot water bottle. Try resetting your boiler – if the pipe remains frozen then address the issue itself. If the problem appears again think of insulating the condensate pipe. For boiler repair help contact PDM Heating Since 1885.
9. Why Are My Boiler Radiators Cold? My Radiators Won’t Heat Up.
- Trapped air is a common boiler heating repair especially with one or a few radiators. Trapped air can also build up over the summer. When you first turn on the boiler air can cause radiators to be warm at the bottom but cold at the top. Bleed your radiators. Use your radiator key to unscrew the bleed screw a little, just until you hear a hissing sound. Once the hissing dies away and water starts coming from your radiator, be ready to close the bleed screw.
- Check for larger problem. If all of your radiators won’t heat up, this could be a sign of a bigger issue. Any other symptoms? Noise? Do you have hot water? Contact PDM Boiler repair expert for advice.
- If trapped air isn’t the problem, or your entire radiator is cold not just the top, check your radiator valves. Make sure the radiator is on or valves are open.
- Does your boiler system need to be power flushed? Flushing helps remove sludge and debris. Radiators that are warm at the top, but not the bottom is a telltale sign, as sludge in the bottom of your radiators which can prevent radiators from being heated properly.
10. Why Does My Boiler Keeps Turning Itself Off?
The boiler is switching itself off due to in-built safety mechanisms – if it did not shut down, then the boiler could overheat. Boiler turning off could be caused by a number of safety control issues: low water pressure, thermostat, closed valve causing low water flow, air or pump not circulating water properly. PDM boiler repair experts can help diagnose the cause. Call for quick service boiler repair near me 815-726-6264.
The PDM Comfort Team For Boiler Repair.
Call PDM to have a short conversation to see IF our boiler service makes sense… or not.
- You’ll get a caring team of boiler heating system repair experts who love solving problems.
- Trusted neighborhood repairing boiler professional for 138 years.
- Live answering – whenever needed.
- Respectful – We’re homeowners too, so we’re certified, licensed, insured for your protections. We wear shoe covers, always clean our messes, and offer polite service.
- Resourceful – Determined, on-time heating boiler team gets you back to doing what you love.
- Advice you can count on: Our experience offers options for any water or steam boiler maintenance, repair or installation. We won’t sell you something you don’t need.
- 100% happiness guarantee – Going beyond to make you happy and comfortable
- 1 year risk-free guarantee – If you are not happy we will redo for free.
- Environmentally friendly – We recycle, improve efficiency and use sustainable materials.
Warm Boiler Repair Near Me Is One Call Away.
Let PDM boiler repairs expert take a look and tell you what needs maintenance, what needs repair and what can wait. Call PDM Heating Since 1885 for local boiler repairs in greater Bolingbrook, Homer Glen, Joliet, New Lenox, Plainfield, IL area. 815-207-4111.
Sump Pumps Maintenance Tips 2023 » « Tankless Water Heater Benefits 2023