How Often To Clean Dryer Vents?
A smart approach is to clean your dryer vent once a year. We’re not talking about just removing the lint from the filter. A complete dryer vent cleaning involves:
- Going outside to inspect the dryer vent opening
- Clearing obstructions, even nests, from the outside dryer vent
- Removing lint buildup from the entire length of the dryer vent
- Cleaning the area behind the dryer
- Thoroughly cleaning the dryer lint trap and drum with a vacuum
How Do I Know My Dryer Vent Is Clogged?
When lint accumulates in an exhaust duct, it reduces the dryer’s ability to expel heated water vapor causing heat energy to build up within the machine. Here are eight clogged dryer vent warning signs.
- Does your dryer take longer to dry, even a 2nd cycle?
- Do clothes come out of the dryer very hot?
- Are you finding very little lint on your lint screen?
- Does your dryer stop during a cycle?
- Do your clothes have a moldy smell?
- Is your dryer hot to the touch while running?
- Do you find lint on your clothing?
- Do you have a plastic dryer vent exhaust duct from your dryer to the wall? Upgrade to a metal exhaust duct to prevent fires.
Dryer Clogged Vent Can Cause Fires.
Clogged or poorly vented dryer vent can cause fire hazards and even carbon monoxide poisoning. PDM can ensure that your dryer is properly vented and free from lint, as well as possible nests of mice or birds. 90% of all appliance fires are dryer related. As many as 15,000 fires are clothes dryer vent related.
When lint accumulates in an exhaust duct the dryer overheats, mechanical failures can trigger sparks, which can cause lint trapped in the dryer vent to burst into flames. Fires generally originate within the dryer but spread by escaping through the ventilation duct, incinerating trapped lint, and following its path into the building wall.
Clogged clothes dryer vent increases drying costs and shortens the life of your dryer. Learn the true condition of your dryer vent. Call PDM for help 815-726-6264. PDM serves Joliet and SW Chicago suburbs since 1885.