How Often Should I Have Air Conditioner Service?
Did you know that in the United States, air conditioning units are now more common than dining rooms or garages? According to the Energy Information Association, 87 percent of US homes have air conditioning, with 75 percent having central units.
On average, only 42% of homeowners have their air conditioners maintained by a professional. Regular HVAC maintenance extends the life of air conditioners by 40%.
If it’s not broke don’t fix it. Unfortunately for many, their home or business air conditioning system falls into that same “put it off” thinking – and eventually ends up with an expensive AC repair or higher utility bills. But there’s a better way. And a better time.
The oldest air conditioning maintenance team urge you to order a seasonal AC safety inspection and energy boosting tune-up. A PDM truck is in your neighborhood. Schedule your peak performance air conditioning tune-up today. The PDM Clean Team serves greater Joliet, Channahon, Plainfield, Bolingbrook, Homer Glen, Lockport, New Lenox, Frankfort area.
Manufacturers Know HVAC Systems Can Degrade 3% Per Year.
When components start to degrade your system works harder to produce the same result. Stresses caused by dirt and neglect during the thousands of starts every year cause parts to wear out. Worst yet, your air conditioner life will shorten. This is one reason manufacturers require annual maintenance to keep warranty active.
Your air conditioner can suffer unnecessary wear and tear if dirty air filters and coils are used, debris is present within the unit, and drain lines become clogged. Before the cooling season begins, make sure your air conditioner is regularly serviced so that a technician can thoroughly inspect and clean it.
Your Ac-Furnace is a Dirt Collector.
Real dirt you can see and some you cannot, but that you definitely need to know about. Dirt compromises how well your system can perform.
Dirt is the #1 cause of AC breakdowns and higher utility bills.
Your HVAC system also forms rust during the winter, fittings get loose and electrical components weaken after starting thousands of times during a season.
80% of all emergency HVAC repairs could have been prevented with routine heating and cooling system maintenance. That’s one reason why manufacturers reserve the right to void your warranty if you neglect your HVAC system.
Shine a Light on Dirty Threats.
A knowledgeable, kind-of-a-neat-freak PDM tech will clean, adjust, calibrate and reset the finer points to factory specs. Annual AC maintenance can lower energy bills, avoid breakdowns at the worst time, extend equipment life and keep your AC warranty active.
Breathe easier. On your thermostat do you turn FAN ON to filter your air and help keep the temperature steady? If your system is running often or you use one inch air filters, inspect your furnace air filter monthly. Dirty air filter can reduce air flow up to 60% and stress your AC operation.
Your AC system is like a car. Oil change, tune-up, tires, brakes wear out over time. happens all over town. Then emergency air conditioning repair calls start coming in fast. Learn about air conditioning repair FAQ.
What Does an Air Conditioning Service Tune-up Actually Involve?
EnergyStar.gov says that a typical maintenance check-up for your air conditioning unit should include the following (and we do too):
- Check thermostat operation to ensure comfortable cooling.
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors. Faulty connections can cause unsafe operation and reduce the life of major components.
- Lubricate all moving parts, which can cause friction and increase use of electricity.
- Check and inspect the condensate drain. A plugged drain can cause water damage and affect indoor humidity levels and cause an AC breakdown.
- Check controls of the system to ensure proper and safe operation. Check the starting cycle of the equipment to assure the system starts, operates and shuts off properly.
- Clean evaporator and condenser air conditioning coils. Dirty coils reduce the system’s ability to cool your home and cause the system to run longer, increasing energy costs and reducing the life of the equipment.
- Check your cooling refrigerant level and adjust if necessary.
- Clean and adjust blower components to provide proper system airflow for greater comfort levels. Airflow problems can reduce your system’s efficiency by up to 15 percent.
Lastly, if your ac-furnace is dirty what are your air ducts like? Open an air vent. Use a wet, white paper towel and wipe ductwork to see exactly how dirty. PDM can clean your air ducts too.
So now that you’ve got this on your mind, why not schedule your air conditioner tune-up? For quality HVAC repair and maintenance service, call the trusted experts at PDM Plumbing, Heating, Cooling Since 1885.
For Air Conditioning Maintenance Service Near Me Call 815-726-6464 or 630-378-4488.