The Most Dangerous Room In Your Home
No, it’s not the kitchen or even the stairways. Nearly 80 percent of falls by people 65 or older occur in the bathroom, according to the National Institute on Aging, CDC and others. Thinking about bathroom safety can save you a trip to the hospital.
- Two-thirds of those who fall will fall again within six months.
- The risk of falling increases with age. More than half of seniors 80 or older fall annually.
- 25 percent of seniors who break a hip from a fall die within six months.
Do you ever worry about slipping in the bathroom? Is the bathroom cramped and difficult to use? Do you grab a towel bar for support? Falls are largely preventable. If nothing else, install secure grab bars in your bathroom to help prevent falls.
12 Problems That Can Lead To A Fall:
- Slipping on a throw rug is the No. 1 culprit
- Forgetting to use a walker
- Shuffling and not lifting your feet
- General problems walking
- Using four or more prescriptions
- Poor shoes and foot problems
- Dizziness, blood pressure problem
- Blurry vision
- Poor lighting, no night lights
- Electrical cords; lamps, extension
- Bathroom concerns from a low toilet, no safe grap bars, unsafe bathtub, no sitting option in the shower, hot water scalding and more.
- If someone falls, call 911, an elderly person helping someone who fell can hurt themselves.
Stop Procrastinating. You Deserve A Change For The Better.
In order to keep you in your home as long as possible PDM Plumbing offers a FREE bathroom safety inspection, normally a $125 service. A polite, neat professional will stop by and share our experience with you. After 137 years of keeping our word, we feel good to guarantee your complete happiness and of course comfort. You can learn more at Accessibility Ideas. Slips and falls are the main cause of injury for older people in the home.
What Do You Think?
Contact PDM Plumbing, Heating, Cooling Since 1885 at 815-207-4111. Serving Joliet SW Chicagoland.Home Maintenance Tips » « JOLIET PLUMBING & HVAC COMPANY WINS READERS’ CHOICE AWARDS.