How often should I service my air conditioner?
Quite a few of us operate according to the principle “out of sight, out of mind.” Meaning, we don’t think about it until we actually need it. Unfortunately for many, their home or business air conditioning system falls into that same “put it off” thinking – and they end up with an emergency repair right when they want cool comfort. But there’s a better way. And a better time.
Manufacturers know HVAC system can degrade 3% per year.
When components start to degrade your system works harder to produce the same result. Stresses caused by dirt and neglect during the thousands of starts every year cause parts to wear out. Worst yet, your air conditioner life will shorten. This is one reason manufacturers require maintenance to keep warranty active.
Why service air conditioning? Your ac-furnace is a dirt collector.
- Real dirt you can see and some things you cannot see, but that you definitely need to know about. Dirt compromises how well your system can perform. It’s the #1 cause of breakdowns and higher utility bills.
- Your HVAC system also forms rust over time, fittings get loose and electrical components weaken after starting thousands of times.
- In fact, 80% of all HVAC repairs could have been prevented with routine heating system maintenance. That’s one reason why manufacturers reserve the right to void your warranty.
Shine a light on dirty threats.
Why service air conditioning? A knowledgeable, kind-of-a-neat-freak PDM tech will clean, adjust, calibrate and reset the finer points to factory specs. Annual AC maintenance can lower energy bills, avoid late night breakdowns, extend life and keep your equipment warranty active.
Stand up for your comfort and safety. Inspect your furnace air filter monthly. Dirty air filter can reduce air flow up to 60% and stress your AC operation.
Spring is when heating repairs fall off and air conditioning repairs aren’t yet hopping. So scheduling a preseason HVAC tune-up early gets you the attention you deserve at a time that is most convenient for you. However, when homeowners ignore their systems until they notice how warm they are – and that something’s wrong with their system – well… that’s happening all over your town. The calls start coming in fast.
What does an air conditioning service tune-up actually involve?
EnergyStar.gov says that a typical maintenance check-up for your air conditioning unit should include the following (and we do too):
- Check thermostat operation to ensure comfortable cooling.
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors. Faulty connections can cause unsafe operation and reduce the life of major components.
- Lubricate all moving parts, which can cause friction and increase use of electricity.
- Check and inspect the condensate drain. A plugged drain can cause water damage and affect indoor humidity levels.
- Check controls of the system to ensure proper and safe operation. Check the starting cycle of the equipment to assure the system starts, operates and shuts off properly.
- Clean evaporator and condenser air conditioning coils. Dirty coils reduce the system’s ability to cool your home and cause the system to run longer, increasing energy costs and reducing the life of the equipment.
- Check your cooling refrigerant level and adjust if necessary.
- Clean and adjust blower components to provide proper system airflow for greater comfort levels. Airflow problems can reduce your system’s efficiency by up to 15 percent.
Lastly, if your ac-furnace is dirty what are your air ducts like? Open an air vent. Use a wet, white paper towel and wipe ductwork to see exactly how dirty. Breathe easier, PDM can clean your air ducts too.
So now that you’ve got this on your mind, why not schedule your air conditioner tune-up? For quality HVAC repair and maintenance service, call the trusted experts at PDM Plumbing, Heating, Cooling Since 1885.
The PDM Clean Team serves greater Joliet, Channahon, Plainfield, Bolingbrook, Homer Glen, Lockport, New Lenox, Frankfort area. A truck is in your neighborhood. Schedule your annual air conditioning service for peace o mind.
For air conditioning service near me call 815-726-6464 or 630-378-4488.