On Monday, April 22nd, millions of people will celebrate Earth Day. They will plant trees, greens, and clean up neighborhoods. Little kids will create art and talk about recycling. Around the world people will talk about what needs to be done to help the Earth become a healthier planet. Here are some ideas for you.
EPA says 20-40% of toilets leak.
- Check for toilet leaks.
- Add food color to the toilet tank and wait 30 minutes.
- Then check the toilet bowl to see if coloring appears. If so, your toilet leaks.
- Flush the toilet promptly to make sure tank is not stained.
Try vinegar as a natural weed killer.
- Vinegar, salt, dish soap – add one quart of vinegar, 1/4 cup of salt and a couple of teaspoons of soap (helps hold ingredients on leaves). Shake to dissolve salt. Don’t spray on other plants as they can die too.
- Lemon juice and vinegar – This acidic combo helps kill weeds fast. 1/2 cup of cleaning vinegar and 1/2 cup lemon juice.
Connect a rain barrel to your downspout
- Use it to water plants or other non-potable uses inside.
- One inch of rain on a 1,000SF roof yields 600 gallons of water.
Plugging air leaks
- According to the EPA and Energy Star, you can save up to 10 percent on utility bills just by plugging air leaks.
- Infiltration of hot or cold air is your worst enemy. The fewer holes in your home the less energy it takes to keep you comfortable
Do thermostats matter to you?
- They control up to 50% of your energy bill.
- Here’s one of the easiest ways you can save energy, money, and help fight global warming, and it’s automatic.
- EPA says a programmable thermostat can lower heating and cooling bills by 20%.
- Change your temperature just one degree can cut your energy use up to 5%.
Tired of waiting for hot water?
- Demand hot-water recirculating pumps work.
- They save up to 16,000 gallons of water each year and use less energy than it takes to run a 25-watt light bulb…to say nothing of the tremendous ecological benefit that goes along with it. Get instant hot water at every faucet.
If you need air conditioning or plumbing help try PDM. We’ve been standing against cutting corners since 1885.