10 tips to keep your disposal working and the drain flowing in the right direction.
- Run cold water when grinding to move the waste all the way down the drain lines.
- Do not put grease or oil down the drain. When it cools it hardens and can clog the drain.
- Do not put stringy or fibrous veggies down the drain. Celery, chard, kale, lettuce, potato peels, artichokes, even cornhusks which all can cause problems. Compost or throw them in the garbage can.
- Do not put pasta or rice down the drain. They expand and can clog the drain.
- Do not grind clam or oyster shells.
- Do not grind meat bones although fish bones can be ok.
- Do not grind fruit seeds or pits including avocado, olive, cherries, peaches, plums.
- Do not grind egg shells as the membrane inside of the shell can wrap around the disposal blade and cause a problem.
- Do not put coffee grounds down the drain. Compost.
- Do not put glass, plastic or metal non-food materials through a disposer. This includes bottle caps, tin covers or aluminum foil, which are some of the items plumbers find in disposers. – Huffington Post
Garbage disposals are great but they are not a garbage can. Use the disposal smartly.
Freshen your disposal by mixing equal amounts of white vinegar and baking soda and pour into the drain, let sit a few minutes, then rinse with warm water.
PDM Plumbers can help unjam or unclog any garbage disposal problem. Call award winning PDM to get back to normal fast. PDM Plumbing, Heating & Cooling has been helping SW Chicago neighbors for 131 years.