The EPA say 20% to 40% of all toilets leak! Do you have a toilet water leak?
- If your toilet flush handle frequently sticks in the flush position, replace or adjust it.
- Toilet flapper’s job is to allow water to rush from the tank into the bowl below when the toilet is flushed. The flapper also seals the water into the tank during periods when the toilet is not in use. If faulty you’ll have a leaking toilet.
- Toilet flappers last about five years—unless you’re using those white puck-like toilet bowl cleaning tablets. Then you may find that your flapper is leaking in two years or less! Touch the flapper. If the coloring from your flapper gets on your fingertips, your flapper is deteriorating and needs to be replaced.
- A silent toilet leak can waste from 30 to 500 gallons of water a day—10,000 gallons a year—while the ones you can hear will waste more.
- Check for toilet leaks. Add food color to the toilet tank and wait 30 minutes. Then check the toilet bowl to see if coloring appears. If so, your toilet leaks. Flush the toilet promptly to make sure tank is not stained.
Toilet wax ring leak? Black ring around your toilet can make you sick.
Chances are it is bacteria, mold and even a touch of sewage! The cause? You probably have a leak in the wax ring that seals the toilet.
Solution. Remove the toilet and replace the wax ring. You should also check the drain line as the toilet may not be flushing properly causing added water pressure on the wax ring.
Take signs of mold seriously
Stop mold from spreading. Stop leaks and dry water-damaged areas within 24 to 48 hours. This will prevent mold growth. Some people can be highly allergic to them, and a few types provoke toxic reactions in those who have no allergies. Learn more about mold from the EPA.
PDM Plumbers are toilet experts. From clogged toilets to smart toilets PDM can help. If your toilet is old it’s a great time to upgrade. You’ll love the look, fell and power of a new toilet. Contact PDM Plumbing for honest toilet repair and replacement advice. PDM Plumbers have been trusted by SW Chicagoland neighbors for 133 years.