Every year an estimated 5-20% of us gets the flu.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the single best way to avoid influenza and related complications is to get a flu shot.
Flu viruses are a contagious respiratory illness. It can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. The flu is different from a cold. The flu usually comes on suddenly. Here are some flu symptoms:
- Fever or feeling feverish/chills – not everyone with flu will have a fever.
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle or body aches
- Fatigue (tiredness)
- Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.
- Most people who get influenza will recover in a few days to less than two weeks.
- Pneumonia, bronchitis, sinus and ear infections are examples of complications from flu. The flu can make chronic health problems worse. For example, people with asthma may experience asthma attacks while they have the flu, and people with chronic congestive heart failure may experience worsening of this condition that is triggered by the flu.
- Some people, such as older people, young children, and people with certain health conditions, are at high risk for serious flu complications.
- During a regular flu season, about 90 percent of deaths occur in people 65 years and older.
- CDC recommends that all children 6 months and older get a flu vaccine. See the flu guide for parents from the CDC
Prevent Disease suggests that the influenza virus’ success hinges on low relative humidity and cold temperatures. Such conditions keep the virus more stable and in the air longer than warm, humid conditions, scientists said.
Stop sickness, painful static shocks and crazy static hair. Lower heating bills and feel better with a whole home humidifier.
- Added moisture allows you to lower the thermostat a few degrees and still feel as warm as you did. Lower heating bills up to 5% for every degree lower you set your thermometer.
- Humidity helps upper respiratory problems, dry nose, cracked, itchy skin, or congestion and stops static shock, static hair.
- Stop damage to your antiques, piano, woodwork and more.
Try a whole home humidifier for 30 days. If you don’t like it we’ll remove and refund your investment. Call PDM Plumbing, Heating and Cooling Since 1885 at 815-207-4111.