Every year an estimated 5-20% (16M – 65M) of us get flu symptoms.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the single best way to avoid influenza flu symptoms and related complications is to get a flu shot.
Influenza (flu) is a common contagious viral respiratory illness that infects the nose, throat, and lungs. Flu viruses spread mainly by droplets made when people with flu cough, sneeze or talk. When severe, flu complications can lead to hospitalization and death. — CDC
Flu viruses are a contagious respiratory illness. It can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. The flu is different from a cold. The flu usually comes on suddenly.
Here are some flu symptoms:
- Fever or feeling feverish/chills – not everyone with flu will have a fever.
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle or body aches
- Fatigue (tiredness)
- Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.
- Most people who get influenza flu symptoms will recover in a few days to less than two weeks.
- Pneumonia, bronchitis, sinus and ear infections are examples of complications from flu. The flu can make chronic health problems worse. For example, people with asthma may experience asthma attacks while they have the flu, and people with chronic congestive heart failure may experience worsening of this condition that is triggered by the flu.
- Some people, such as older people, young children, and people with certain health conditions, are at high risk for serious flu complications.
- During a regular flu season, about 90 percent of deaths occur in people 65 years and older.
- CDC recommends that all children 6 months and older get a flu vaccine. See the treatment guide from the CDC.
Influenza virus’ success hinges on:
Prevent Disease suggests that the influenza virus’ success hinges on low relative humidity and cold temperatures. Such conditions keep the virus more stable and in the air longer than warm, humid conditions, scientists said.
Improve your health.
Stop sickness, painful static shocks and crazy static hair. Lower heating bills and feel better with a whole home humidifier.
- Avoid the flu. Add humidity to your home. Help avoid sickness and lower the thermostat a few degrees and still feel as warm as you did. Lower heating bills up to 5% for every degree lower you set your thermometer.
- Humidity helps upper respiratory problems, dry nose, cracked, itchy skin, or congestion and stops static shock, static hair.
- Stop damage to your antiques, piano, woodwork and more. Help plants and animals too.
Try a whole home humidifier for 30 days. If you don’t like it we’ll remove and refund your investment. Call PDM Plumbing, Heating, Cooling Since 1885 at 815-207-4111. Serving SW Chicago Suburbs for 134 years.