These make the list for the dirtiest bathroom surfaces.
What do you think has more germs? Toilet seat? Floor? Or how about your toothbrush?
Toilet seat bugs?
ABC News reported 50% of USA woman “hover” over a public toilet for fear of germs. Do you? But toilet seats are cleaner than you think. Some public toilet seats tested had fewer than 1,000 bacteria per square inch meaning it’s safe enough to eat off of!
A bathroom floor is by far the dirtiest surface given you track in new bugs everyday according to ABC News. The average public restroom floor showed two million bacteria per square inch. About the same amount as an unbrushed mouth!
The dirty truth about your toothbrush.
MedicineNet.com reported the average toothbrush is home to more than 100 million bacteria, including fecal germs! But your mouth is also full of bacteria so a bacteria-laden toothbrush is unlikely to make you sick.
To help prevent adding unwanted germs into your mouth, try these tips to keep your toothbrush cleaner…
- Are you washing your hands wrong? Try 20 second rule for hand washing. Seems pretty simple, but a new study from the US Department of Agriculture shows that 97% of the time, most people are spreading dangerous bacteria around and do not know it. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends scrubbing your hands with soap for at least 20 seconds!
- Don’t share your toothbrush. And do not let bristles touch another toothbrush.
- Sick? Replace toothbrush after you get well. Stop your illness germs from passing right back to you.
- Have an old toothbrush? If older than five years time to upgrade. Actually, a new toothbrush is recommended every three months!
- Close toilet lid before flushing. Research shows a flushing toilet can splash fecal matter on surfaces and your toothbrush. So keep your toothbrush away from the toilet.
A safe, clean bathroom always works better when your plumbing is working properly. If you have slow drains, leaky or tight faucets, PDM Plumbers can help. From a repair to a fixture upgrade to a complete remodel, the Clean Team is ready to help.
About PDM Plumbing, Heating, Cooling
PDM Plumbing, Heating & Cooling has assembled an award-winning team to continue offering residential and commercial customers in Joliet and SW Chicago Suburbs superior plumbing services and equipment. The company’s commitment to its customers dates back to its founding in 1885 and includes a customer satisfaction guarantee on all work.
PDM Plumbing, Heating, Cooling
467 Ruby Street
Joliet, IL 60435